Greek Columnar Basil
- Type: warm-season annual
- Planting time: after last frost in spring
- Features: aromatic leaves on tall, narrow plants
- Light: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained but moist
- Spacing: 9 to 12 inches
- Plant size: 24 to 36 inches tall
- Garden use: mixed planting beds, herb gardens, containers
- Culinary use: Italian or Asian cooking
If basil is a favorite in your kitchen, you need to try Greek Columnar. This easy-growing basil unfurls small green leaves that boast a rich basil flavor with spicy overtones of cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. The columnar growth habit gives this basil a little footprint, making it ideal for small gardens and containers. Because plants don’t typically flower, you’ll savor a season-long supply of leaves. Use the flavorful foliage for cooking traditional Italian dishes, sauces, and pesto. It also enhances Asian cuisine, like spring rolls and soups, and adds a delicious flavor to desserts and beverages. Pick leaves in the morning, after the dew dries.
Some Bonnie Plants varieties may not be available at your local stores, as we select and sell varieties best suited to the growing conditions in each region.