Hot and Spicy Oregano
- Type: Perennial in zones 5 to 9
- Planting time: After last frost in spring or in fall (up to 2 to 3 weeks before first frost in cold zones)
- Features: Rounded green leaves with pungent flavor and mild heat
- Light: Full sun to part shade
- Soil: Average, well-drained; also gritty, sandy soil
- Plant spacing: 24 to 36 inches
- Plant size: 12 to 36 inches tall
- Garden use: Herb, Mediterranean, or gravel gardens; grows well in containers
- Culinary use: Use leaves fresh, dried, or frozen in water
Hot & Spicy oregano blends the easy-growing traits of oregano with the heat of a mild chile pepper. Flavorful leaves make a great addition to Mexican dishes. Plants form a nicely rounded mound with multiple trailing stems. Leaves boast a traditional oregano flavor—but with greater pungency. Plants thrive in any soil that’s well-drained, as long as it’s not constantly moist. In colder zones, plants die to the ground in winter and resprout in spring. Harvest leaves frequently, and use fresh or dried. Plants open tiny pink blooms in late summer that are a favorite among bees and butterflies.
Some Bonnie Plants varieties may not be available at your local stores, as we select and sell varieties best suited to the growing conditions in each region.