Mosquito Plant Citronella
- Type: tender perennial
- Planting time: spring, after the last frost
- Features: strongly lemon-scented leaves
- Light: sun to part shade
- Height: 24 to 36 inches
- Soil: light, well drained, on the dry side
- Spacing: 12 to 24 inches
- Plant Size: 2 to 3 feet tall
- Garden use: herb garden, flower border, containers
A scented geranium, this is a great patio plant, especially in containers. Do not over-fertilize because too much nitrogen reduces leaf fragrance. Sometimes called citronella, but actually a citrus-scented geranium. Although crushed leaves do have some ability to repel mosquitoes, the plants alone are grown more for their refreshing scent than mosquito-repelling characteristics. Place them near a gate or path where you brush against the leaves as you walk by, or in a pot where children can rub the leaves to enjoy their fragrance. Plants are vigorous growers and perfect for containers. Drought tolerant.
Some Bonnie Plants varieties may not be available at your local stores, as we select and sell varieties best suited to the growing conditions in each region.
- imposter Review by niki
Would you recommend this product to a friend? Never!
- Use mosquito repellent instead. Review by riceke
Would you recommend this product to a friend? Likely