- Type: perennial, zones 7 to 9
- Planting time: spring
- Features: nectar-rich red flowers in late summer and fall, pineapple-scented foliage
- Height: 3 to 4 feet
- Light: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist but well drained
- Spacing: 24 to 36 inches
- Plant Size: 3 to 4 feet tall, 2 to 3 feet wide
- Garden use: flower arrangements, garnish, teas, attracts hummingbirds and butterflies
This sage is equally appreciated for its red flowers and the sweet pineapple scent of the foliage, which is wonderful when cut for a flower arrangement. Grow it to attract hummingbirds as they migrate south in the fall. The pretty red flowers are also great for cutting. Pineapple sage leaves are also used dried or fresh in teas. Plants will grow up through the summer, when you can enjoy their leafy fragrance. Just as some other garden plants start to fade in late summer and early fall, pineapple sage will burst into bloom. This is a great plant for the fall garden because it attracts migrating hummingbirds and butterflies.
Some Bonnie Plants varieties may not be available at your local stores, as we select and sell varieties best suited to the growing conditions in each region.
- Great Pineapple fragrance. Beautiful red flowers. Review by Tom Nunz
It grows fast and has a wonderful Pineapple scent for real.
In the Fall it does attract many Humming Birds, because most of the other flowers are gone already.
Most times it needs to be staked or supported because here in Southern NJ it is often windy and breaks the plant. It can be trimmed back with no ill effects.
We have planted one this year and hope another Hurricane (Sandy) does not destroy this one. (Posted on May 13, 2013)
Pros: Taste, Yield
Would you recommend this product to a friend? Definitely yes