- Type: warm season annual
- Planting time: after last spring frost
- Features: purple-bronze leaves, slight licorice taste
- Light: Full sun
- Soil: Prefers moist but well drained
- Spacing: 12 to 18 inches apart
- Plant size: 18 to 24 inches tall
- Garden use: Containers, herb, vegetable and flower beds
- Culinary use: Asian and Italian dishes
These purple basil leaves have a beautiful, coppery glow and clove-like, slightly spicy flavor. Use them in salads or preserved in oils and vinegars. A pot of purple basil provides surprisingly, striking color in the garden.
Some Bonnie Plants varieties may not be available at your local stores, as we select and sell varieties best suited to the growing conditions in each region.