Your next football viewing party or tailgate needs to include these delicious jalapeno poppers! Baked instead of battered and fried, these poppers are lighter on the calories but still heavy on the flavor.
Yield: 14 poppers
- 14 jalapeno peppers, such as Spicy Slice Jalapeno Peppers
- 6 ounces Mexican crumbling cheese (such as fresco or cortija), crumbled into large pieces
- 7 slices of bacon, sliced in half cross-wise (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Slice jalapeno peppers lengthwise down the middle, stopping at the stem (the two halves should still be connected). Or, if cut them fully in half to create more servings.
- Remove seeds and white membrane. Stuff each pepper with cheese, pressing the halves together. Wrap in bacon if desired. Place the chiles on a cake rack placed over a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese bubbles and the skins begin to brown. Serve immediately.
Featured Ingredient: Jalapeno Peppers
Named for the town of Jalapa, Mexico, jalapenos are most popular chile pepper in the United States. Typically used as a spice in Mexican cuisine, jalapenos are also commonly used to add heat to salsa or pickled for an American nacho topping favorite. Often, the heat of the individual peppers will vary, so some may be spicier than others. Jalapeno plants are rather compact, so they grow well in containers. Let us teach you how to grow your own jalapenos.