This gin-based take on a classic pisco sour swaps tangy bitters for earthy lavender to lend a light floral note at cocktail time. The bright purple color and frothy texture only add to the sensory appeal. Serve this smooth summertime concoction next to a plate of crunchy Smashed Cucumbers with Mint and Soy.
Yield: 1 drink
- 4 sprigs lavender
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. dried hibiscus flowers
- 2 oz. of gin
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup ice
- Fresh lavender buds and/or sprigs, for garnish
- First, make lavender hibiscus simple syrup by adding the lavender sprigs, water, sugar, and hibiscus to a small pot and bringing it to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the sugar has dissolved, about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let steep for 20 minutes. Then pour through a fine mesh strainer, into a glass or jar.
- Add 1 oz. of the simple syrup to a cocktail shaker along with the gin, egg white, lemon juice, and ice. Vigorously shake for 30 seconds then strain into a coup glass.
- Garnish with a lavender bud.
Recipe and photos by Megan Mitchell.
5% of all sales on bonnieplants.com go to AmpleHarvest.org.