Use summer squash in a new way in this tasty alternative to an ordinary garden salad. Not only is Squash Salad delicious, but this easy summer dish gives you a whole new way to eat healthy. Serve as a side dish, or top with grilled chicken for a light meal.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 medium-sized zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- ¼ cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp of your favorite low-fat salad dressing
- Wash squash and tomato thoroughly. With a potato peeler, shave thin, long slivers off the squash (stop when you reach seeds or core).
- In a bowl, mix shaved squash, tomato, onion, cheese, and basil with a few tablespoons of your favorite salad dressing. Toss lightly and serve.
Featured Ingredient: Summer Squash
Summer squash is among the season's best and most versatile vegetables. They are delicious eaten raw, pickled, grilled, steamed, or even pureed, and are full of nutrients, including potassium, vitamin C, and magnesium. With many varieties of summer squash to chose from (including both yellow squash and zucchini), you may have trouble picking just one to grow in your garden this season—so grow a few! Let us teach you how to grow squash in your garden this summer..