Green Leaf Fennel
- Type: Tender perennial in zones 7 to 10; usually grown as annual or biennial
- Planting time: After last spring frost
- Features: Feathery green leaves with sweet flavor
- Light: Full sun
- Soil: Prefers well-drained soil or potting mix
- Spacing: 4 to 6 inches apart
- Plant size: 24 to 36 inches tall
- Garden use: Containers, herb garden
- Culinary use: Salads, dressings, flavored butters
Grow this plant and you’ll be rewarded with lots of feathery, sweet-tasting leaves. This is a non-bulbing variety of fennel. The leaves taste wonderful in salads, slaws, flavored butters, and dressings. The yellow flowers that appear late in the season are edible and add beauty and flavor as toppings for soups and salads. Stems look great in floral arrangements, too.
Some Bonnie Plants® varieties may not be available in your local area, due to different variables in certain regions. Also, if any variety is a limited, regional variety it will be noted on the pertinent variety page.