- Type: warm season annual
- Planting time: after last spring frost
- Features: purple-bronze leaves, slight licorice taste
- Light: Full sun
- Soil: Prefers moist but well drained
- Spacing: 12 to 18 inches apart
- Plant size: 18 to 24 inches tall
- Garden use: Containers, herb, vegetable and flower beds
- Culinary use: Asian and Italian dishes
These purple basil leaves have a beautiful, coppery glow and clove-like, slightly spicy flavor. Use them in salads or preserved in oils and vinegars. A pot of purple basil provides surprisingly, striking color in the garden.
Some Bonnie Plants® varieties may not be available in your local area, due to different variables in certain regions. Also, if any variety is a limited, regional variety it will be noted on the pertinent variety page.