This is salad is bright and full of flavor, nicely complementing grilled meats or fish, or warm pasta. If you are unfamiliar with fennel, it’s definitely worth a try! Fennel’s taste is sweeter than its aroma suggests, and the thin slices add a delicate layer of flavor to the peppery arugula in this salad.
Yield : 3 to 4 servings
- 3 cups arugula
- ¾ cup fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- ¼ red onion, very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Small block of Parmesan cheese
- Place the arugula on a large serving plate or in a large bowl. Sprinkle evenly with the sliced fennel and red onion.
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Pour over the arugula, fennel, and onion.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave Parmesan cheese over the salad.
Featured Ingredient: Arugula
Arugula is a peppery green and is delicious mixed with other greens in salads, or tossed with balsamic vinaigrette and spread over baked pizzas. It can even be sautéed or steamed like spinach, and is wonderful tossed in hot pasta dishes. Arugula is easy to find in the grocery store (most often as “Baby Arugula”); however, we think that by growing arugula yourself, you’ll experience much more (and better) flavor. Learn how to grow your own arugula.