Bright and refreshing, this fruit salad shows off the flavors of fresh melon, strawberries, and mint — a real treat during the spring and summer months. In the winter, citrus and winter berries can be easily substituted for the melon and strawberries.
Yield : 6 to 8 servings
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup milk (whole or skim)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 unbaked (10-inch) deep-dish pie shell
- Combine the sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, butter, milk, nutmeg, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat until well combined. Pour into the pie shell.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until the filling is set. Serve hot or cold with whipped cream.
Recipe adapted from Southern and Then Some, a cookbook of the Alabama Farmers Cooperative, Inc.