A wonderful use for your green tomatoes, this casserole will please even the pickiest eaters. The tart tomatoes are complemented by creamy, melted cheese. This is a simple way to salvage green tomatoes and your family will love it. Test it on children who say they don’t like tomatoes. Perhaps they won’t recognize them!
- 6 to 8 large garden tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet onions (such as Georgia Sweets or Texas Sweets)
- 1 large bunch of cilantro stems
- Salt to taste
- Dice all the ingredients into small pieces. Combine them in a bowl, stir and salt to taste.
- Let the mixture sit for a couple of hours before serving so the flavors can blend.
- Once you begin with this basic recipe, you can tweak it by adding ingredients such as lime juice, sliced jalapeno pepper, or finely chopped mango to suit your taste.