While the flavor of cumin is often instantly recognizable, ground coriander (ground from the seeds of cilantro plants) is more subtle. It adds a mild lemon flavor to dishes like this simple, sophisticated salad.
Yield : 6 servings
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ to 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Whisk together cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, sugar, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, lime rind, lime juice, and olive oil in a small bowl. Or, combine in a jar, close lid tightly, and shake until well blended.
- Arrange tomatoes and avocados on a platter. Drizzle with cumin-coriander vinaigrette; sprinkle with cilantro leaves.