Whether you’re in the mood for a hot cup of aromatic tea or simply want to fill your home with fragrance, make this your go-to recipe. Thyme, sage, lavender, oregano, and citrus combine for a scent and flavor that is both soothing and refreshing. Be sure to check simmering potpourri periodically, to ensure there is enough liquid in the pot.
Yield : 1 cup tea or small pot of potpourri
- 1 cup water for tea / 2 cups for potpourri
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 fresh sage leaves (or ½ tsp dried)
- 4-5 fresh lavender flowers (1 tsp dried buds)
- 1 fresh oregano sprig (½ tsp dried)
- Lemon or orange slice (optional)
- Sweetener to taste (optional)
- For tea: Bring water to a low boil, add all herbs and citrus slice, then remove from heat. Let herbs steep for 5 minutes or until desired flavor is reached. Strain into a mug and sweeten to taste.
- For potpourri: Add all ingredients to a small pot over low heat. Simmer for as long as desired, keeping an eye on the water level and adding more as needed. For the holidays, try adding cinnamon and cloves. Scent will last for several hours.
Recipe by Sarah Ward.