Celebrate two of summer’s best flavors in this refreshing sangria. The flavor gets better as it sits, so it’s a great make-ahead drink for a party or outdoor barbecue. Just hold the ginger ale until you’re ready to serve, then garnish with a few fresh basil leaves and sliced peaches.
Yield: About 6 servings
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup packed Pesto Party Basil (or other basil) leaves, chopped
- 1 large ripe peach
- 10 whole basil leaves
- 1 750-ml bottle dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- ⅓ cup vodka or rum (optional)
- 12 oz ginger ale
- Additional basil leaves and peach slices for garnish
- Ice (optional)
- In a small pot, combine sugar and water. Heat over low just until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in chopped basil. Cover and let sit for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, halve and pit the peach. Smash one half and thinly slice the other, adding both to a large pitcher. Tear a few whole basil leaves and add to the pitcher as well.
- After it has sat for 30 minutes, strain syrup, discard basil, and add syrup to the pitcher. Pour in white wine and vodka (if desired) and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Muddle a fresh basil leaf in each glass before adding 5-6 ounces of sangria, then top with a couple ounces of ginger ale. Garnish with additional basil leaves and fresh peach slices and serve with ice, if desired.
Recipe by Sarah Ward.