Filled with the flavors of Fall, these cookies can be made with pumpkin straight out of your garden. A citrusy, sweet orange glaze highlights the rich pumpkin taste.
Yield : About 4 dozen cookies and about 1 cup of glaze
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ cups mashed cooked pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Orange Glaze
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg, pumpkin, orange juice and orange zest and mix well. Add the flour mixture gradually. Stir in the nuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes or until the edges are set.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Spread each cookie with ½ teaspoon Orange Glaze.
- 1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar, orange juice and orange zest in a bowl and mix until smooth.
Recipe adapted from Southern and Then Some, a cookbook of the Alabama Farmers Cooperative, Inc.