Dehydrating intensifies the natural flavors of your Roma tomatoes, making them tangy and sweet in these tomato snacks. The spices give them a little extra punch.
Yield : 8 servings
- 8 pounds of Roma tomatoes, or the quantity required to fill your dehydrator
- Greek seasoning or spice mix of your choice
- Slice washed Roma tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick and spread them onto a dehydrator tray. Discard the first slice containing the tough tissue from the stem attachment. The tip at the other end is usually blemish free and will dry easily if placed so that the cut side is facing up. Overlapping slices will not effect the outcome except that the pieces may stick together. Sprinkle slices with seasoning.
- Close and dehydrate at 135 degrees for about 12 to 15 hours, or as long as it takes for the moisture to evaporate. Transfer dried tomatoes immediately to an airtight plastic bag or jar. If stored in the freezer, the dried tomatoes will be crisp like a potato chip. Not all need to be frozen; just keep one container ready for snacking.
- If you don’t have a dehydrator, spread slices on a cookie sheet covered with parchment and place in the oven at the lowest setting. Leave the door ajar for moisture to escape.