- Type: Perennial in zones 3 to 11
- Planting time: Spring or fall
- Features: Strong flavor and fragrance
- Light: Full sun to part shade
- Soil: Prefers moist, fertile soil
- Spacing: 18 to 24 inches apart
- Plant size: 24 inches tall
- Garden use: Containers, window boxes
- Culinary use: Salads, sauces, desserts, beverages
Spearmint has strong flavor and fragrance that is released with simple bruising. It’s the best mint variety for hot and cold drinks. Toss bruised leaves into ice water for a refreshing summer drink or add to iced tea. Spearmint is favored for flavoring beverages such as mojito. Also know as Yerba Buena. Spreading plant is great for containers. Tolerates light frost.
Some Bonnie Plants varieties may not be available in your local area, due to different variables in certain regions. Also, if any variety is a limited, regional variety it will be noted on the pertinent variety page.