Yield: 4 servings
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 (8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- 11/3 cups arugula
- Combine water and pickling lime in an enamel pan (do not use aluminum). Add cucumbers. Let stand overnight.
- Drain and discard lime water. Rinse cucumbers 3 times with cold water. Return them to the pot, cover them with ice water, and let stand for 3 hours. Drain.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, and spices in a large pot. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add cucumbers. Let stand, covered, overnight.
- The following day, bring syrup and cucumbers to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes. Discard spices, if desired.
- Pack cucumbers into hot sterilized jars. Add boiling syrup, leaving ½-inch headspace; seal with 2-piece lids.
- Process pint jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes (quart jars for 15 minutes).
- These finished jars will store well in a dark place for a year. If you prefer not to process them, store them in the fridge for up to two months.