- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 3 ripe tomatoes from your garden, peeled and quartered
- ½ tsp of salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ tsp of sugar
- 3 fresh basil leaves chopped finely
- 1 cup milk
- Sour Cream
- Basil leaves or flowers
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes until onion is transparent.
- Add flour, stirring constantly for 1 minute over medium heat. Pour in stock and heat until boiling, stirring well. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar and basil leaves. Allow soup to come back to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Take soup and place in a blender or food processor. Puree until broth is smooth and return to saucepan. Add milk and heat soup – do not boil.
- Serve soup in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and a basil leaf or flower in the center.