This recipe is so tasty that you won't even miss the potatoes! Lower in carbs than potatoes, mashed cauliflower offers a healthy alternative to this comfort food favorite. For an interesting twist, try different colors of cauliflower (yellow, green, or purple).
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- Salt to taste
- Sour cream (optional)
- Chopped fresh herbs (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium stock pot. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Mash cauliflower with a potato masher, or for a smoother texture, place in a food processor and grind until desired consistency is reached. Salt to taste.
- Serve hot with sour cream and chopped fresh herbs, if desired.
Featured Ingredient: Cauliflower
Cauliflower's mild flavor lends it to a number of uses. Excellent in curries, sauteed with garlic and herbs, or eaten raw with hummus, many popular ways to use cauliflower now include using it as a substitute for starchier foods like potatoes, rice, and even flour. Each head is packed with potassium, vitamin C, and dietary fiber, along with vitamin B-6, magnesium, and protein. Learn how to grow your own cauliflower.