Yield: 24 appetizer servings
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium cucumber (about 8 ounces), cut crosswise into 24 thin slices
- 1 cup ice cubes
- ½ (16-ounce) loaf very thinly sliced seedless Jewish rye bread (such a Pepperidge Farms)
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 small cucumber (about 8 ounces), peeled, finely grated, and drained
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- Sprigs fresh dill
- Combine water, vinegar, and salt in a small bowl, stirring until salt dissolves. Add cucumber slices and ice cubes. Set aside.
- Cut each of 8 bread slices into 3 rounds using a 2-inch cookie cutter. Reserve remaining bread for another use. Spread butter evenly over bread rounds; cover with a damp cloth, and set aside.
- Remove cucumber slices from water; drain well on paper towels.
- Combine cream cheese and mayonnaise in a small bowl, beating with an electric mixer at low speed until smooth and creamy. Add grated cucumber, onion, and chopped fresh dill; mix well. Spread 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture evenly over buttered side of each bread round. Top each round with slice of reserved cucumber and a sprig of fresh dill.
- Cover sandwiches with a damp cloth and refrigerate until ready to serve.