Yield: 8 cups
- 4 chicken breast halves (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14-ounce) cans great Northern beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons canned, chopped jalapeno pepper
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped hot and spicy oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Hot and spicy oregano sprigs
- Cut chicken into ¾ inch cubes; toss with cumin and black pepper, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add chicken; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, beans, and jalapeno peppers, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes. Add oregano and sugar, stirring well.
- Cook 5 additional minutes. Ladle into serving bowls. Garnish with oregano sprigs.