Yield: 6 to 8 main-dish servings with pasta or 5 cups marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped, or 2 lbs. fresh tomatoes, such as Sunrise Sauce Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ½ cup fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) package penne pasta
- Sprigs fresh oregano
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Add tomatoes, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add basil and oregano; cook an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper, stirring well.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool while pasta cooks.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
- Spoon pasta onto individual serving plates, and top with marinara sauce. Garnish with sprigs of fresh oregano, and serve with crusty French bread, if desired.