Turn basic pico de gallo up a notch by making it with tomatoes, onions and cilantro picked fresh from your garden. Then, serve it with tortilla chips, put it on top of tacos, eggs, or a baked potato, mix it with rice—use your imagination! It's also super easy to tweak this pico de gallo recipe to create a variety of flavor combinations that perfectly suit your palate.
- 6 to 8 large garden tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet onions (such as Georgia Sweet or Texas Sweet)
- 1 large bunch of cilantro stems
- Salt to taste
- Dice all the ingredients into small pieces. Combine them in a bowl, stir and salt to taste.
- Let the mixture sit for a couple of hours before serving so the flavors can blend.
- Once you begin with this basic recipe, you can tweak it by adding ingredients such as lime juice, sliced jalapeno pepper, or finely chopped mango to suit your taste.