This green smoothie has all the ingredients and flavor of a green juice while maintaining the important nutritional benefits of using whole fruits and vegetables. Plus, it's sweetened naturally using fresh stevia leaves. Packed with fiber and vitamins, this recipe is perfect for an afternoon or pre-workout boost. You can also add protein powder or yogurt to make this smoothie into a meal.
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 apple
- 1 cup fresh or frozen fruit (grapes, pineapple, kiwi, etc.)
- 1 cup chopped kale (4 to 5 leaves)
- 1 to 2 cups coconut water
- 1″ knob ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 to 3 stevia leaves
- Put all ingredients in a blender and puree on high speed until smooth and texture is very fine.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to three days – shake before serving.
Featured Ingredient: Stevia
Also called "sweetleaf" for the very sweet taste of its leaves, stevia is a leafy herb that is used as a natural sweetener. Unlike many plant sugars, stevia is diabetic friendly and naturally calorie free, making it a perfect choice for sweetening iced tea and other beverages in lieu of cane sugar. The leaves can even be dried, ground, and added to baked goods or other foods. The plants grow very well in containers or directly the ground. Learn how to grow your own stevia.
Recipe by Sarah Ward, the creator of the blog of the dirt.