A wonderful use for your green tomatoes, this casserole will please even the pickiest eaters. The tart tomatoes are complemented by creamy, melted cheese. This is a simple way to salvage green tomatoes and your family will love it. Test it on children who say they don't like tomatoes. Perhaps they won't recognize them!
- 4 large green tomatoes, sliced
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter or Pam spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a casserole dish with butter or spray with Pam. Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and ¼ cup cheese. Make another layer of sliced tomatoes and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake covered for 40 to 60 minutes. Of course, you may adjust this recipe to include the type of cheese you prefer.
Recipe adapted from Southern and Then Some, A Cookbook by the Alabama Farmer's Cooperative