Ideal for picnics and barbecues, this vibrant dish features grilled sweet summer corn combined with chopped heirloom tomatoes and tossed with an herbed vinaigrette.
Yield: 4 cups
- 3 ears yellow or white corn, silks removed
- 2 ¼-inch thick slices red or yellow onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons minced canned chipotle peppers with adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1¼ pounds heirloom tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Prepare a charcoal fire or preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill corn, turning occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes or until outer leaves are charred and kernels are tender.
- Next, pull back husks and grill corn, turning occasionally, 3 minutes or until grill marks appear. When cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cob and place in a large bowl.
- Grill onion slices 2 minutes on each side, until charred but still crisp-tender. Coarsely chop and stir into corn.
- Whisk together cilantro, oil, vinegar, juice, garlic, chipotle, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Add to corn mixture, stirring until well blended. Stir in tomatoes.
Recipe by Julia Rutland.