Summer garden buddies tomatoes and squash star together in this tasty pastry. Pair with a fresh salad for a simple lunch, or with soup for a light supper. Makes a wonderful brunch dish, too!
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 prepared refrigerated pie dough
- 1 small zucchini, sliced ⅛ inch thick
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced ⅛ inch thick
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup grated smoked gouda, Provolone, or Swiss cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, oregano, or basil
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 15 buttery round crackers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1½ pounds heirloom tomatoes, cored, sliced, and seeded
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Fit dough into bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan. Fold any excess dough and press against sides. Prick bottom and sides with a fork. Bake crust 10 minutes; set aside.
- Place zucchini on paper towels on a microwave-safe dish. Sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon salt. Microwave squash on HIGH for 2 minutes or until squash is tender but still holding its shape. Blot dry with paper towels. Repeat with yellow squash.
- Combine remaining ½ teaspoon salt, mayonnaise, and next 4 ingredients in a bowl. Layer half of zucchini, half of tomato slices, and half of mayonnaise mixture in crust. Repeat with remaining zucchini, tomatoes, and mayonnaise mixture.
- Combine cracker crumbs and butter; sprinkle over tart. Bake tart for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe by Julia Rutland.