Zucchini cooked in olive oil gives it a crispy exterior while leaving the inside tender and moist. Topped with a simple salad of sweet corn, red bell pepper, herbs and feta, this salad is perfect during the summer months when these vegetables are at their peak. Round out the zesty flavor by pairing it with a refreshing Strawberry Basil Margarita
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ears sweet corn, shucked and kernels removed from cob
- 1 small red bell pepper, 1/4-inch dice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. minced chives, plus more for garnish
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. orange blossom honey
- 4 medium zucchini
- 3-ounce block sheep feta
- Bring a 10-inch nonstick skillet up to heat over medium.
- Add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of EVOO along with the corn kernels, diced bell pepper, and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the corn is tender and bright yellow. Pour into a medium bowl and add in the chives, basil, vinegar and honey. Mix together, taste for seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if needed, then set aside.
- Clean the skillet.
- Cut the zucchini into 1-inch thick pieces, about 6 or 7 slices per zucchini. Bring the skillet back up to heat over medium. Add in enough EVOO to coat the bottom, then add in the zucchini working in batches, flat side down. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, then flip and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Remove and liberally season with salt and pepper. Continue with the remaining zucchini.
- To assemble, place the zucchini on a serving platter or large, shallow bowl. Top it with the corn relish followed by feta broken into smaller chunks, a sprinkle of chives, and more black pepper.
Recipe and photos by Megan Mitchell.
5% of all sales on bonnieplants.com go to AmpleHarvest.org.