Nutrient-rich spinach is packed with essential vitamins and minerals, giving this dish the best of both worlds: It's both healthy and delicious! Spinach Sauté makes a great side dish for baked chicken or grilled steak.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- 1 pint of sliced mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs spinach, washed and chopped
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter. When butter has melted, add garlic and onion. Sauté garlic and onion until onion is transparent. If butter starts to brown, reduce heat slightly.
- Add grated carrot and sauté until tender, but still crispy, about 3 minutes. Pour in wine and bring to a boil. After mixture has boiled for 2-3 minutes, add mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Finally, mix in spinach and remove from heat.
- Allow spinach to wilt for a couple of minutes (some leaves should remain crisp). Serve immediately.
Featured Ingredient: Spinach
A relative of beets and Swiss chard, spinach is a nutrient-packed leafy vegetable that lands on the super greens list for its health benefits. The leaves are full of potassium and vitamins A and C, and are a good source of dietary fiber. They are delicious either cooked or eaten raw. Our variety of spinach is fast-growing, with large but tender leaves, making it an excellent choice for anyone who enjoys cooking spinach regularly, or adding a nutrient boost to smoothies and juices. Learn how to grow spinach in your own garden..