You'll love the taste of this fresh watermelon salad. It's the perfect first course for a summer party or covered dish for a cookout. If you're making this salad ahead of time, wait to add the salt until ready to serve, or let everyone add their own. This will keep the watermelon crisp longer.
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 cups chopped watermelon (seedless preferred)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 Tbsp chopped mint leaves
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine watermelon and onions in a large bowl. Add vinegar, lemon juice, mint, and salt. Mix to incorporate all ingredients and add fresh black pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour or until ready to serve.
Featured Ingredient: Watermelon
Watermelon is the fruit icon of summertime: seed-spitting contests, cold slices eaten by the pool, juicy flesh pureed and used to flavor lemonade or cocktails. It's hard to beat the sweet, juicy crispness of watermelon on a hot day. Full of water (so it's good for keeping you hydrated), watermelon is also packed with potassium and vitamins A and C. If you plan to grow your own watermelon, you'll need to dedicate a fair amount of room, as the melons grow on ground-crawling vines. It's worth giving up some space, though, as the sweetness of a home-grown melon cannot be beat! Let us teach you how to grow watermelon in your own garden this summer.