Bronze Leaf Fennel
- Type: Tender perennial in zones 6 to 10, but usually grown as an annual
- Planting time: After last spring frost
- Features: Beautiful leaves with the flavor of sweet anise
- Light: Full sun
- Soil: Prefers well-drained soil or potting mix
- Spacing: 4 to 6 inches apart
- Plant size: 24 to 36 inches tall
- Garden use: Containers, herb garden
- Culinary use: Salads, dressings, coleslaw, flavored butters
Beautiful reddish-bronze leaves have a fern-like appearance and a sweet anise flavor. They’re a nice addition to salads, coleslaw, and flavored butters. The flowers are edible and can be used for garnishing fish, beef, tomato, and potato dishes. If your main reason for growing this plant is for the leaves, though, remove blooms to prevent it from going to seed. Seeds can be used to freshen breath, and are an ingredient in some “natural” toothpastes.
Some Bonnie Plants varieties may not be available at your local stores, as we select and sell varieties best suited to the growing conditions in each region.