- Type: Perennial in zones 3 to 10
- Planting time: Spring, fall
- Features: Waxy, grass-like leaves flavored like onion, purple blooms
- Light: Full sun
- Soil: Fertile, well drained
- Spacing: 8 to 12 inches
- Plant size: 1 foot tall
- Garden use: Herb garden, flower border, containers
- Culinary use: For dishes that need a mild, onion-like flavor
Easy to grow, onion chives pack a lot of flavor for their compact size. The plants form neat grass-like clumps of tubular leaves that contribute an onion flavor to salads, creamy soups, potatoes, egg dishes, and others. A wonderful addition to an herb garden. Great for containers, and also makes a neat border. Enjoy the light purple blooms in the spring–they are edible, too. Frost tolerant.
Some Bonnie Plants® varieties may not be available in your local area, due to different variables in certain regions. Also, if any variety is a limited, regional variety it will be noted on the pertinent variety page.