- Type: Perennial in zones 3 to 10
- Planting time: Spring, fall
- Features: Waxy, grass-like leaves flavored like onion, purple blooms
- Light: Full sun
- Soil: Fertile, well drained
- Spacing: 8 to 12 inches
- Plant size: 1 foot tall
- Garden use: Herb garden, flower border, containers
- Culinary use: For dishes that need a mild, onion-like flavor
Easy to grow, onion chives pack a lot of flavor for their compact size. The plants form neat grass-like clumps of tubular leaves that contribute an onion flavor to salads, creamy soups, potatoes, egg dishes, and others. A wonderful addition to an herb garden. Great for containers, and also makes a neat border. Enjoy the light purple blooms in the spring–they are edible, too. Frost tolerant.
Some Bonnie Plants varieties may not be available in your local area, due to different variables in certain regions. Also, if any variety is a limited, regional variety it will be noted on the pertinent variety page.