- Type:Perennial in zones 9 and 10
- Planting time: Spring
- Features: Small, savory leaves
- Light: Full sun
- Soil: Light, well drained. pH 6.5 to 6.9
- Spacing: 12 inches
- Plant size: 12 to 24 inches tall, 12 to 18 inches wide
- Garden use: Herb garden, containers
- Culinary use: Green beans, turkey stuffing, soups, stews
Sweet marjoram could be described as a mild oregano. Bushy and lush, you will want to harvest snips throughout the growing season and trim it all at the end of the growing season to dry for later use. In Germany, it’s a popular seasoning for sausage. In the northern US, it is popular for turkey stuffing. In France, Italy, and Portugal it is used to flavor soups, lamb, veal, stews, and assorted vegetables.
A fast growing but tender perennial, it is grown as an annual in most parts of the country. It is perennial in zones 9 and 10.
Some Bonnie Plants® varieties may not be available in your local area, due to different variables in certain regions. Also, if any variety is a limited, regional variety it will be noted on the pertinent variety page.