Here is an easy way to show the moms in your life that you appreciate them on Mother's Day and every day—a growing gift of a container herb garden. If you're not sure what to plant, we have a few suggested combinations, depending on what she likes to cook.
Whether she reaches for an iced tea or an iced mojito, every woman relishes a few minutes to sip a relaxing beverage. Lemon balm, rosemary, and sweet mint, or a collection of mints, including chocolate, spearmint, and peppermint.
Mom's Garden Planting Tips
- Plant two or three herbs in a large pot that is at least 14 inches in diameter, preferably larger as larger containers are easier to keep watered in the heat of summer. Or, you can plant each herb in a 10-inch pot and group the pots together.
- Choose from a variety of container styles and materials to match Mom's own signature style. You can try coordinating the container style to the combination theme. Terra cotta works well for the "Mamma Mia" combo (as shown above), while something colorful and fun might be in order for "Happy Hour."
- Plant the herbs in a premium potting mix, such as Miracle-Gro® Potting Mix. Don't skimp on Mom! Quality is important so that the roots grow well.
- Add some plant food, such as Miracle-Gro® Pour & Feed® Singles, to your gift. This gives Mom the tool she needs to keep her container green and growing all season long.
- Use this rule of (green) thumb for container design: include a thriller, filler, and spiller. The thriller provides height and a focal point in the center or back of the design, while the spiller trails over the side of the pot, and the filler fills in the space between the other two. In the combinations described above, the plants are listed in order of thriller, filler, and spiller.
- With nearly 40 Bonnie Plants herb varieties to choose from, the combinations are nearly endless. Just go with what Mom likes! She'll thank you for it.