Pick fresh basil to make basil pesto, a great sauce for pasta or chicken. It’s easy to grow basil in your garden and harvest it for using fresh in the kitchen.
Yield : 1 1/3 cups
- 4 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted*
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In food processor, combine basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt and pepper; process until pine nuts are ground.
- With motor running, gradually add oil through feed tube, processing until mixture forms a paste. Add Parmesan cheese; pulse until blended.
- Pesto can be made ahead. Place sheet of plastic wrap directly on surface to prevent discoloration; refrigerate up to 2 days or freeze up to 6 months.