Crunchy, snappy, tangy, and loaded with brightly-colored veggies, this raw salad makes the most of your garden in a matter of minutes. Plus, it holds up well in the fridge. Serve this summertime concoction cold or at room temp, and with another seasonal treat: A Peach and Mint Bourbon Smash.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 10 oz. green beans or snap peas
- 1 red bell pepper, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 orange bell pepper, 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup purple basil leaves, torn
- 1 tbsp. chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp. chopped mint
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tbsp. orange blossom honey
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 oz. feta or soft goat cheese
- Whole basil leaves, for garnish
- Whole oregano leaves, for garnish
- Whole mint leaves, for garnish
- Wash and dry the green beans. Cut off the stem and end part, then slice into 1/2-inch pieces. Place in a large bowl along with the red, yellow and orange bell peppers, basil, oregano, mint, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss together.
- In a small bowl whisk together the juice from the lemon, EVOO, honey, and Dijon. Pour over the veggies and toss to coat. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if needed.
- Crumble in the feta or goat cheese and barely stir to combine, leaving the chunks as whole as possible.
- Serve in a shallow bowl with whole basil, oregano, and mint leaves as garnish.
Recipe and photos by Megan Mitchell.